Monday, April 7, 2014

What I’ve Been Reading | 1st Edition

I have read so many books this year that have changed my life for the better, and a few that I just thoroughly enjoyed. I thought I would share so you can stock up your summer reading list.

#1- Wild by Cheryl Strayed.

This book is Cheryl Strayed chronicling her journey of hiking the Pacific Crest trail through California, Oregon, and Washington State. What drew me in was her young, wild spirit that had never hiked or camped a day in her life and she just went for it. It got me in touch with my need to be alone in nature and to take an adventure in the future myself. She’s rough around the edges, but the discoveries she finds within herself I found so refreshing and exciting.

#2- One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp.

Through words and sentences that are so beautifully crafted, I could only shrink back at the thought of my run-on-sentence-prone blog, Voskamp shows the power of voicing (or writing) the small gifts we are given by our maker every single day. She shows how to have tremendous joy through monotony, and through tragedy. A beautiful and uplifting read.

#3- Kisses from Katie by Katie J. Davis.

Blessed Katie- I wish you would be my best friend. Without giving too much away, I can tell you that Katie Davis moved to Uganda at the age of 19 and could easily be called the next Mother Theresa. She is the hands of feet of Jesus to entire Ugandan villages. Her faith is astounding.

#4- ‘7’ by Jen Hatmaker

A MUST. If you’ve read this blog in the past two months you know how I feel about this author and book. Truly a life changer. Also look into ‘Interuppted’ by Hatmaker.

#5- The Long Run by Mishka Shubaly

This one is gritty. It is the writings of a man who switched from using drugs and alcohol to using his legs to run Ultra Marathons. With his story comes the ups and downs of drug addiction and the pain and triumph of pushing yourself to your limits. Not for the rom-com loving happy people out there.

 

Whats on my nightstand now:

Love Does, Bob Goff

Anything, Jennie Allen

Radical, David Platt

The Lowland, Jhumpa Lahiri

What’s on your list?

Love,
Mrs Manlove